Saturday, September 24, 2011

this week in (outer space).

I always find it bizarre how often my life and my schoolwork intersect. And while this usually happens in regards to my classes for my major, rarely do I make these connections with the science classes I am forced to take as general requirements. This week, however, I noticed my newfound knowledge of astronomical terms came in handy when looking for new clothes and new jams.

As a certified nerd and Björk fanboy, I have been all over the four singles released leading up the October 10 release of her seventh, album, Biophilia. The new album has just as distinct a sound as any of her previous efforts. In particular, tracks like Crystalline (stick around for the closing 50 seconds) and Virus prove that the 45-year-old Icelandic songstress is still truly one-of-a-kind.

Moon - the newest single, however, caught me off-guard in the best sense of the word. Where as Crystalline and Virus depend on beats for momentum, Moon first appears to lack structure altogether. Instead, the song makes minimal use of a few sounds. Without a solid beat as a crutch, it almost feels like the different sounds and notes are floating around in space. So both in the spirit of the song’s structure, and it’s lyrical content, Moon feels like a celestial affair. Check it out below:




Since I got on the topic of songs about outer space, I am working on a cheesy outer space playlist. Maybe you all can help me fill in the blanks? Here’s what I have so far:


Back in the universe of things-I-want-to-buy-but-will-never-be-able-to-afford, I stumbled upon this sweater and dress on the Opening Ceremony website. They’re both the work of Christopher Kane (who somehow has ended up on this blog twice despite the fact that I’m not a huge fan).

Image via Opening Ceremony.

While at first I thought that this might be a little too gimmicky for my taste, I think it works in the same way that speckled sweaters do (which I affectionally refer to as funfetti sweaters). You can see one such sweater below.  I don’t think the difference is that drastic, so why make a fuss over the first sweater?


Image via Barneys.

Does this new song have too little structure?
What songs should I add to my playlist?
Are these clothes out of this world?
How are you getting your outer space on this week?

4 comments:

  1. yup, this sweater is really fun. cool way to have some sparkle in the fall when i feel like sometimes clothes choices get a bit boring, at least for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. pluto is a planet - 2 skinny js (my youth was ska)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlilcWKzBg
    hello spaceboy - David Bowie (actually a lot of David Bowie)...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZVGeUBrimA
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdsW93ThQ&ob=av2n

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this sweater could be really fun!

    Really random somewhat space related songs..
    R.E.M. - Man on the Moon
    KiD CuDi - Man On The Moon
    David Bowie - Space Oddity
    Jimi Hendrix - Astro Man
    Jimi Hendrix - Third Stone From The Sun
    Beatles - Sun King
    Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this outer space theme that I have been seeing on the runways and in stores lately. Its out of this world (yea i just said that....) hahah.

    ReplyDelete