Sunday, October 9, 2011

this week in (sticking to your guns).

In general, in both music and fashion, we admire those musicians and designers who evolve and challenge us as consumers.  If a musician doesn’t push into new territory, he or she is often criticized for playing it safe.  If a designer does the same thing, he or she risks having his or her work labeled as dated or off-trend.  
While I do see the wisdom in these critiques - after all how can either field evolve if nobody is pushing the envelope and challenging norms - sometimes I am content with a little bit more of the same.
This thought first crossed my mind this week when I downloaded the new album from one of my favorite perpetually-on-the-verge-of-making-it-big artists, Zola Jesus (AKA Nika Roza Danilova).  The new LP, Conatus, debuted October 11 and was preceded by lead single and standout track “Vessel.”





Anybody who listened to any of the tracks from this unique artist’s pervious efforts, in particular from the twin EPs Stridulum and Valusia, will feel right at home with Danilova’s newest work.  The songs employ all of the her trademark elements: dark, simple beats and, most importantly, her classic, operatic voice.  Even though this may at first seem redundant to those of us who have followed Danilova for awhile, her style is unique, it works, and she is still improving upon it.  For example, “Vessel” employs an awesome stuttering vocal effect that really brings the song to a whole new level.  On “Seekir,” Zola Jesus manipulates her vocals again, this time in a sort of dull chant that fades in and out.  These new twists on her distinct sound are welcome additions, and they fit right in along her other work, such as the excellent single, “Night.”




Later on, while trolling online stores for any sign of new winter merchandise, I inevitably ended up trying to convince myself not to spend my non-existent money on a couple of pieces from the new mens line from T by Alexander Wang.  Arguably my favorite designer, A. Wang knows how to hit me right where it hurts - in the wallet.  His trademark style, characterized by that just-rolled-out-of-bed look, makes his clothes fun and easy to wear.

Images via Opening Ceremony.

As with my new CD, these new pieces really didn’t radically depart from what this designer is known for - and I am more than okay with that.  While the new line is far from identical, it still has the same simple, casual, downtown New York style that fans know and love.  So for the foreseeable Alexander Wang gets a free pass.  He knows what works for his brand and I see no reason for him to fix what isn’t broken.
Do you get frustrated when your favorite musicians don’t push the envelope with each new release?
Is anybody else going to Zola Jesus at Black Cat next week?
Is the mens line of T by Alexander Wang’s redundant? 
How are you sticking to your guns this week?

4 comments:

  1. I've always liked Alexander Wang. With this type of trademark style it would be inappropriate if the designer made major shifts in a different direction.
    I've never paid close attention to Zola Jesus but I like what I hear so I'll have to start keeping up with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a really good point here about music. Everything is about finding there own thing to make them unique, but at what point is it going too far? At what point does a unique niche go too far to attractive the interest of key consumer groups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vessel is a really cool video, but a little out there for me. I don't know anything about Alexander Wang, but didn't you just think about buying two sweaters just like this two weeks ago (that makes me sound mom-like). Wait, no, the other one was filled with fun color. I take that back. :)

    ReplyDelete