Saturday, November 12, 2011

this week in (maximalism).

Several weeks ago I wrote a post about minimalism.  While I generally consider myself to be a minimalist, that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate other aesthetics.  This week in particular I noticed that I was drawn to music and clothes with a maximalist style.
I, along with the rest of the world, have been eagerly awaiting the debut of Versace’s collaboration with H&M.  Like Lanvin for H&M before it, Versace for H&M features men’s and women’s designs by the high end brand, but at an affordable price.  Earlier this week Versace debuted the brand in an elaborate fashion show on the Hudson River, a clip from which you can watch below.



Even though the line isn’t really something I would wear, I think that it has some really interesting pieces that harken back to the Versace of the 90’s.  These printed shirts in particular remind me of this time.




Images via Racked.


Even though I am slightly terrified of the prospect of the 90’s coming back in style already, I am excited to see some of the classic Versace elements being incorporated into this line.  By far my favorite piece is the men’s bomber jacket, which features an interesting mix of ornate patterns on the sleeves.



Image via Racked.


Already being worn by the likes of Kanye West, this jacket is sure to be one of the items that flies off the shelves first when the collection debuts this Thursday at H&M stores across the globe.  If you have your eye on any of these items, you better get there early, because if the insanity that was Missoni for Target was any indicator, this collection will be sold out within a few hours.
Even though these styles might be a little over-the-top for a Northwest D.C. guy, I do enjoy their maximalist esthetic.  The mixing of exotic prints is excited and well-executed, which is no small feat.
Versace might be bringing back 90’s South Beach style, but South African rap duo Die Antwoord is sticking to their one-of-a-kind sound with their new single, “Fok Julle Naiers.”  The song, which translates to “Fuck You All,” reminds me of most of the rave-rap duo’s previous work.



Again, these guys aren’t usually my cup of tea, but I think I get it.  Between the quirky beat, affected vocals, and guest drop, the song incorporates a lot of different elements.  I think it works for them though, so this is one Die Antwoord song I don’t mind keeping in my iTunes.
What do you think of Versace for H&M?
Will you be camping outside of H&M on Thursday?
Is Die Antwoord too over the top?
How are you living a maximalist life this week?

3 comments:

  1. oh! sorta chic hawaiian shirt. didn't think it could be done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the commercial last night for this collection and at the end Donatella is in it and goes like "my fashion, my house, my rules" and it really intrigued me. I may have to save up for a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG This stuff is crazy!!! Wow dude. I don't think I could ever pull this stuff off. This is why it stays couture, no? Or is this for real people? Or what?

    ReplyDelete