Friday, November 25, 2011

this week in (things that are under-appreciated).

This time of year, as much talk as there is about what we’re all thankful for, I can’t help but think about those people who may have the opposite sentiment.  By this I mean there are a lot of people who are getting the short end of the stick in life, and who deserve just a tad bit more recognition.  So in this anti-Thanksgiving spirit, I present to you my picks for under-appreciated musicians and designers.
The first two musicians who instantly popped into my head when I started brainstorming this topic were Robyn and Annie.  While both are female, Scandinavian, synth-pop acts, Annie remains the less-recognized of the two (Robyn has earned some recognition this year for the semi-successful single “Dancing On My Own" and for a Gossip Girl cameo).  Annie, on the other hands, for the foreseeable future, seems doomed to a career of semi-obscurity.  If you’re familiar with her at all, it’s probably from her 2004 single “Heartbeat.”


“Heartbeat” is everything you could ever ask for from a pop song - it boasts strong hooks and a universal message about one of the simplest human emotions.  The perfect production and candid lyrics create a song that, even thought it seems like it should be topping the charts, never quite made it into the mainstream.  “Heartbeat” comes from Annie’s debut album Anniemal, which offers several other unforgettable pop songs, such as the tounge-in-cheek single “Chewing Gum.”


Annie’s second album, Don’t Stop introduced a more euro-club-y sound, but the tracks are still fun.  “Songs Remind Me Of You,” in particular, stands out as the kind of song that can get just about anybody onto the dance floor.



With the success of pop stars such as Katy Perry and Lady GaGa it’s hard to believe that somebody like Annie never got the same traction in the States.  There probably isn’t any real explanation to this thought, but it’s something to think about.
On the fashion front, I can’t help but plug a brand that I have begun to follow closely - Warriors of Radness.  The label, which focuses on colorful, casual pieces, has been picked up by the likes of Opening Ceremony, yet I rarely see it worn.  



Images via Opening Ceremony.


Even though it’s not necessarily my personal style, I appreciate Warriors of Radness for making some pretty crazy ideas wearable.  The printed shirts and pants stand out to me because even though they are busy, they look like pieces that you could incorporate into a wardrobe.  Whereas a lot of edgy urban streetwear can look gaudy and perpetually out-of-place, I think these designs could work in most men’s closets.
Does Annie deserve a little more recognition?
What is the best line in “Chewing Gum?”
Would you wear any of these Warriors of Radness pieces?
What (_________) in your life is under-appreciated?

2 comments:

  1. Warriors of Radness is pretty cool. Even though my daily dress is mostly dominated by black, it just makes me happy to see crazy colors and prints in fashion. It's a nice reminder that fashion should be a fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I completely agree with you on Annie. Great artist that is under valued.

    ReplyDelete